Istria had 140 years ago a rail connection to Vienna, Paris, Budapest. Traveling from Pula to Trieste with train lasted for an hour and 55 minutes, that time. The railroad was at that time a pillar of the economy, and today it is a living monument of industrial heritage from that time. One of the major stations was built in the center of Istrian penisola- in Pazin, where is based private collection of artefacts dedicated to the history of the Istrian railway with numerous original objects from the Austro-Hungary time. A former employee and now retierd railway Operator Jovo Ačimović, who spent his entire life on the railway - first as a trafficman and then in the administration established that small museum. Working along the entire Istrian border, he collected objects that were slowly coming out of use. Nowadays part of this collection can be seen in Pazin - there are exposed signal lamps, goggles, signs, diaries, ternos and binaries for sale of railway tickets, diaries, rulebooks, writing accessories, phones, caps, old pictures that not only show employees but the whole process of planning and building.
Symbolic digging of the mattock in Pazin in 1873 marked the start of construction. Entire railway was completed in 1876. In only three years, 122 kilometers of railway line from Divača to Pula and 21 kilometers from Kanfanar to Rovinj were built. That part of the track was abolished in 1966.
The construction of this railroad had strategic importance for Austro-Hungary because it could directly connect Vienna with the main war harbor of the empire -wich became the main war base in 1853.
An interesting story a scandal, which is still actual is linked to the attempting an assassination from 1912. or 1913., when on the Pazin railway station, Valeria von Windischgretz granddaughter of the Emperor Franz Joseph and the wife of the chief of the Austrian war Headquarter, , from the pistol wounded the Czech actress Emu Swindov, who traveled to Brijuni as a lover her husband.
If you are looking for a true Istrian traditional tavern with a homemade atmosphere, then this is the right choice tavern Vodnjanka, which is located in the heart of Pula. It is a small family tavern that is open all year round and is a favorite place where the locals go for brunch or lunch. You can feel that the place has a soul as you walk past it, you will feel at home. As the owner Moris Civitiko is a big music fan, misic is carefully selected here. Enough for a warm recommendation. Here, local istrian food has always been good - everything that is usually prepared in the istrian family's for hundreds of years - from homemade pasta like pljukanci and fusi, to sausages and ombolo/cured pork with sour cabbage, winter classic on the menu of local taverns, up to tripice/tripe and Istrian maneštra, but also stuffed peppers and goulash. Civitico family has been ther for thirty-three years, and all these years have kept their clientele, wich is saying enough about the reputation of the tavern and themselves. And before that, there was the tavern that was managed by Moris's grandfather. Moris and his family are particularly proud of, apart from its recipes based on the authentic tradition of Istrian culinary art, the fact that all the food at the restaurant is exclusively local. This means there is no morning when the family does not go to the local market in search of local fruit and vegetables that will translate into their creative rustic dishes. Naturally, there is also local meat shop and fish market there that are sources for their traditional menu. So, the menu is just what's on the fish market and the green market today. Everything has exclusively seasonal character. They baked their own bread from domestic flour. Perhaps unusual, since in Istria there are only a few old local mills producing domestic flour. On their menu you can find various types of Istrian cattle Boškarina whose meat is especially prized, but also goats and lambs.
Villa Torlonia is part, together with Giovanni Pascoli’s native home, of the Pascoli Poetry Park, a cultural project that aims to enhance the poetry of Giovanni Pascoli in his hometown, San Mauro di Romagna, re-named San Mauro Pascoli after the poet. Giovanni Pascoli (1855-1912) was a classic scholar and a poet whose graceful and melancholy Italian lyric poems, perfect in form, rhythmic in style, and innovative in wording, were an important influence on the “crepuscolari” (“twilight poets”) movement. Villa Torlonia ("La Torre") is a superb farmhouse dated XVII/XVIII Century, belonging to the Prince Torlonia where Ruggero Pascoli, the poet's father worked as an administrator; this is the place where Ruggero’s young mare took him back after he had been assassinated by an unknown murder, as described by the poet in the poems “La cavallina storna” and “San Lorenzo”. Villa Torlonia hosts now a multisensorial exhibition telling the Pascoli’s poetry through technology and innovation. Villa Torlonia is around 3 Km away from Giovanni Pascoli’s native house, in the city centre of San Mauro Pascoli (via Giovanni Pascoli, 46). This latter was fully restored to the original structure; its large kitchen with its big fireplace is completely intact and gives visitors the possibility to gain precious insights into the poet's childhood. The poet’s studio, bedroom and garden are also visitable. The Museum arranges guided tours, dedicated exhibitions and educational activities.
WINTER: Tuesday to Saturday: 09:30-12:30;15:30-18:30; SUMMER: Tuesday to Saturday: 09:30-12:30;16:00-19:00
The History of Villa Silvia started in the 1874 when it became property of the Countess Silvia Pasolini Zanelli, who managed to made it out the parlor of the culture of Romagna. Some of the most famous intellectuals of Romagna attended the Villa, such as the poet Giosuè Carducci – the first Italian to win the Nobel Prize for Literature – who spent eleven years in Lizzano from 1897 to 1906. Here he was inspired to compose the famous Ode to the Polenta Church. The poet’s room perfectly intact and visible, retains his original furnishings. In the evocative "Literary Garden" located around the villa, the visit is accompanied by an audio commentary that provides news, information, anecdotes and songs about the life of the countess and her relationship with Carducci and other intellectuals who frequented the house. Villa Silvia is now home of the AMMI (Italian Association of Mechanical Music), which develops the research, study, dissemination, preservation and restoration of mechanical musical instruments, with a rich library. Also, is headquartered in the villa, the museum "Musicalia", permanent exhibition of musical instruments of extraordinary interest. The museum was thought to be a seven-room journey that traces the qualifying moments of the history of mechanical music. From its invention, to the various stages of its development and its establishment in society, to the decline due to the appearance of gramophone and other modern means of sound diffusion.
Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays SUMMER: 16 -19 WINTER: 15 - 18
With its long-standing tradition and experience, Veli žal restaurant offers specialties for the real gourmands - and everyone here will find something they love. Along with traditional island fare such as lamb from Cres, Adriatic fish and crab, home-made ravioli with skuta cheese and asparagus, and Boškarin steak, you can taste a variety of dishes prepared “under the bell” (peka), from an open barbecue on wood charcoal or a spit, and taste fifty types of the best Croatian wines.
The Vela vrata tavern in Beram is situated at the very entrance to the centre of this small town, most famous for its frescoes by St. Vincent of Kastav in the Church of St. Mary of the Rocks. The tavern welcomed its first guests in 2006 and since then it has been run by a married couple, Sandro and Helena Jurčić. What does this typical Istrian tavern have to offer? They were one of the first to offer the meat of the Istrian Boskarin cattle, prepared in a variety of ways and following different recipes. They are also known for their handmade pasta, as well as freshly baked homemade bread. Their cuisine exclusively consists of local and seasonal foods supplied by local farmers. The hard-working chefs of Vela vrata take great pride in some of their not so ordinary dishes. Some of them you would not expect to taste at a typical tavern, e.g. quail stew, or hare stew with polenta (cornmeal mush), and you can also treat your palate to a variety of truffle-based dishes.
Almost there are no visitors to Pula who, besides the famous Roman Arena, is not visiting main Pula green market. It is a kind of heart of the city, the most vibrant place attracted to both domestic and tourists. In the array of local fruit, vegetables and flowers on the market under centuries-old chestnut trees you can see all that is growing in the Istrian county in present month - from young potatoes, spinach, salads, to local mushrooms, asparagus, aromatic and medicinal herbs, honey, local brandy, cheeses. Even if you do not buy anything, you will be intrigued by the offer and the sellers who will be happy to explain your offer and where the products come from. And in the imposing Secession time build market place, on the ground floor you will be welcomed by a large fish market filled with catches of that day, meat and meat products of local and famous international producers. On the floor up a monumental stone staircase escort you to your morning coffee, or daily glass of malvasia and lunch - grilled meat or fish. Here you can taste some of the finest sausages, roaches, shark sausages. Apart from the green market products and the visitors, the most interesting thing is architecture of building that was built in 1903. When it was built, it was a true architectural wonder and a unique example of architecture due to its iron and glass construction, which was used for the first time, and is unique attraction still today. Some architect are still thinking that this is also the most beautiful Croatian market today. It was built according to the L. Nobis project, and the Viennese company Münz invested 250,000 crowns in its construction. Its architecture is particularly interesting due to semi-circular constructive iron brackets produced in the Witkowice Ironworks.
07.00h - 13.00h
In the area called "Valle", where in the early Middle Ages the Longobardian gastaldaga, seat of the royal court, was located, today there is the monastic complex of Santa Maria in Valle which, with the annexed Lombard Temple, constitutes an important testimony of the history and of the urban evolution of Cividale. The Monastery, which already existed in 830, was continuously extended and renewed, with significant interventions between the 13th and 14th and 16th centuries, until it constituted the important monumental nucleus still preserved. Attached to the complex, near the river, is the Tempietto, a unique building of its kind, prestigious by virtue of the exceptional nature of the works of art housed in it: inside the mosaics and figurative-ornamental stuccos and a program of frescoes executed in a courtly and wisely refined style, make it one of the most splendid and ambitious commissions that have come down to us since the 8th century. Since 2011 it has been included in the UNESCO world heritage sites.
SUMMER OPENING TIMES (From 1st April to 30 September) From Monday to Friday 10.00 - 13.00 and 15.00 – 18.00 Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays 10.00 – 18.00 WINTER OPENING TIMES (From 1st October to 31st March) From Monday to Friday 10.00 - 13.00 and 14.00 – 17.00 Saturday, Sunday, Public holidays 10.00 – 17.00
Theme viewpoint Providenca combines the 300 m long educational trail Apsyrtides and a viewpoint bar with local specialties. Named after the Greek term for the islands of Cres and Lošinj, the Apsyrtides, this educational trail provides a deeper understanding of the islands that can be seen from the very viewpoint. 28 textual interpretations with photographs show the island for what it really is – unique and unrepeatable. Vidikovac Bar offers a special experience. 18 hand-crafted tables and benches carry the names of famous ships that were built in well-known local shipyards in the 19th century. Theme viewpoint Providenca is a place where you can fully experience the beauty of these islands and enjoy the moment when the sun touches the sea.
April - November
If there were no Austro-Hungarians, it would be questionable how would look like the old core of the town of Pazin. At the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century, the main route through the city center, which connected the periphery with the ancient Kaštela, and later the railway station and the rail track that was responsible for further development of Pazin. Three streets – Prilaz Kaštelu, Vrtlišće and Corso form the entrance to the Old Square at the bottom of the old town. Here was the place where the richest inhabitants gathered in the monarchy. Rich wealthy tradesmen, craftsmen and politicians had houses on that place. Largest residential building in the city owned by the largest Pazin wholesaler Camus it was located on that place. The main street was Corso where there were numerous restaurants, taverns and shops. In today's building of the State Archives In the Old Town was the center for high school education, in the Croatian language. It was opened in 1899. after the long struggle of the Istrian Renaissance champions Juraj Dobrila, Matka Laginje, Vjekoslava Spinčića, Dinka Vitezic, Dinka Trinajstić, Šime Kurelić and others, the first Croatian gymnasium in Croatian. The Imperial-Royal High State Gymnasium was the first high school institution of Istrian Croats. In the first year, 101 high school students were enrolled, and around 200 students enrolled in eight classes annually. It was a unique school in the area of Istria, the Kvarner islands and the Slovenian coast. A dormitory home was built in 1914, which is located at the site of today's Pazin College. In the premises of the former high school, where the Croatian language was celebrated, in 1980. the State Archives which preserves all the archival material of Istria was moved. It is place where history is kept, but also the place where lot of various lectures and exhibitions from local history are promoted.
07:00h - 15:00h
The honey produced on the Karst is of the highest quality due to the absence of intensive agriculture and therefore pesticides, and the fields and forests and orchards where bees can find sources of pure nectar. Honeys of acacia, marasca, lime, millefiori and, very rare, ivy. In the Isonzo Carso area there is a canine cherry, or Santa Lucia cherry, from which the Marasca del Carso honey is obtained, recognisable by its amber colour and reddish reflections. It is not particularly sweet and its characteristic is a strong almond aftertaste. It is only produced in a few years and for this reason it is particularly sought after.
every morning from 9.00 a.m. to 12.00 noon
Access gate to the south and station along the Po Delta Park, Cervia’s Salt Pan is regarded as highly interesting from a naturalistic and landscape viewpoint, beside its relevance as a memory of the traditional process for the salt collection and processing. The Salt Pan covers a surface of 827 hectares, about 1600 m from the sea. In 1959 the single collection industrial system replaced the previous multiple collection artisan method; the 144 small salt pans existing at the time were substituted with a dozen large basins, except for the Salina Camillone. This latter is the only single small salt pan survivor where, thanks to the voluntary work by a Cultural Association, salt is produced according the millenary traditional system, the so called multiple extraction which is made daily from salt basins. The salt produced is high-quality salt to Slow Food standards. The salt produced and prepared in the salt fields of Cervia is "wholemeal salt", undergone only physical-mechanical processing. Cervia salt is named as special salt, "Sweet", for the purity of the sodium chloride and the absence of other bitter salts normally present in the sea water. Guided tours are offered in summer at the Salina Camillone: visitors are shown the different salt collection phases and receive information about the properties of this salt. Inside the Salt Pan you have the Visitors’ Centre that is also an important observation point for the study and census of bird migrations along the Adriatic.
Visit to the Camillone Salt Pan: June to September, Thursdays and Sundays at 5 pm
In keeping with both Pellegrino Artusi’s philosophy and the area of Italy in which it is located, the Casa Artusi Restaurant tastefully serves home cookery. Many of Artusi’s dishes can be enjoyed at the restaurant, according to the season. The dishes that are served at the restaurant Casa Artusi pay great attention to the quality seasonality, and environmental sustainability of ingredients, as well as and to the search for gastronomy excellences. Strong is the bound to the territory and the tradition: the fresh, home-made pasta is strictly rolled with the traditional rolling pin, and traditional recipes using PDO ingredients and Slow Food presidia are served. The restaurant offers a menu “a la carte” and thematic menus or special menus, also in agreement with producers that take part in the event and explain the products, their production process and their characteristics. Around 200 different kinds of wine from both Emilia and Romagna are on both show and sale in the Casa Artusi wine cellar, in virtue of its affiliation with the Enoteca Regionale Emilia-Romagna (Regional wine shop of Emilia-Romagna). A range of products from the area, such as spirits and traditional balsamic vinegar can also be purchased here. The ENOTECA wine cellar di Casa Artusi of the offers aperitivi and wine tasting. The OSTERIA di Casa Artusi offers more informal catering and an extensive selection of wines, served both by the glass and by the bottle. Meals include both a buffet of typical foods from the area, and dishes served from the kitchen.
Ribarska koliba on Verudela is one of the unique legends of the restaurant scene in Pula. This is a century - old tradition place where you can eat the best fish. In the past that was tavern, and today Ribarska koliba is a top restaurant. They are always serving fresh fish from the Adriatic Sea. Ribarska koliba hosted many famous personalities - from politicians to celebrities from the world of music and film, and this tradition has not been lost to this day. The former president of Yugoslavia, Tito, was regularly here, who admired this place when he was in Brijuni. To him in honor, today on of the restaurant hall has his name. The century-old tradition of an excellent fish restaurant with a terrace on the seaside overlooking the neighboring marina of Veruda and luxury yachts and local boat is present today. The property consists of a restaurant and a lounge bar on the ground floor, and is offering diverse dishes based on Mediterranean cuisine. In the open and comfortable lounge bar you can have a snack with Spritz Aperol, Martini, another cocktail or a glass of the best Istrian wine and enjoy breathtaking views. You can taste a variety of fish specialties - from the best quality white fish all the way to the wild Adriatic scampi and shrimps, and the egg of the sea scallops or lobster. Fish can be picked on the spot, as well as lobsters you can see in the pool. Ribarska koliba is not just a fish restaurant, so meat lovers can come to their own. Here you can taste some of the beef steaks with rucola and cheese Grana Padano and crunchy potatoes in terano sauce, as well as beef carpaccio with marinated zucchini and cheese Grana Padano. The kitchen is managed by the famous chef Alen Turkovic who worked in many prestigious Croatian and Italian restaurants, amongst others in the five-star hotel - Kempinski Hotel Adriatic in Savudria.
Food lovers choose the restaurant Za Kantuni!
On the place where now is situated our restaurant Za Kantuni, at the begining of 20th a hotelrestaurant was opened named Dreher Bierhalle. Within the hotel was a restaurant with a garden terrace where they pured premium beer and great selection of vines. Today in our restaurant you can taste disches of the island's native cuisine which are based on the old island recepies, concieved according to modern gastronomy and culinary art. Fresh sea fish, scampi and squid prepared in a number of ways, molluscs, and lamp cooked "under the bell" are the specialities of these islands.
We offer a large selection of spirits and liquerus from Kvarner area togeather with a selection of wines from Croatia.
Restaurant Za Kantuni bears the mark of quality "Kvarner food" awarded by Tourist office Kvarner for restaurant that promote their culinary offer, gastronomy and tradition of Kvarner.
We are pleased to accomodate you in our restaurant Za Kantuni to taste our quality cuisine.
The main goal of the Blue World Institute is research and protection of the sea and marine organisms, as well as education on the need to preserve the sea ecosystem and endangered marine species. You too can contribute to the preservation of dolphins by embracing an eco-friendly approach to the environment and supporting its protection. You can also join the “Adopt a Dolphin” programme. If you want to adopt one, you can do it in person in the Lošinj Marine Education Centre in Veli Lošinj or online on the Institute’s website. As a thank you to their donors, the Blue World presents them with their Adopters Package and the annual magazine Akvamarin. For a lasting memory, you will also receive a photo of the dolphin whose protection you have supported.
July, August 10-21, May, June and September 10-16; From October to April 10-14
The olive groves and vineyards of the Parovel family are located in the hilly area of Caresana and Bagnoli della Rosandra and in the valleys of Breg and Rio Ospo. The company was founded in 1898 by the great-grandfather Pietro Parovel. Together with his six children he produced wines and extra-virgin olive oil and could also give hospitality to the diligences of the Trieste and Viennese bourgeoisie who were passing through. The Parovel family is known for having reintroduced the olive tree cultivation in the province of Trieste. In addition to the production of the Tergeste DOP it is active with other blends. It is the only company in the province of Trieste that participates in the event "Open Cellars" and there are numerous initiatives wich can attract people who are curious about the company. Visits to the winery and the olive groves can be made upon prior request.
The old beech woods of the Casentino Forests National Park and the Integral Reserve of Sasso Fratino are part of the UNESCO world heritage list and of the Natura 2000 network, with 79 animal and 4 plant species of community interest, 30 habitats of interest community and 12 nature sites. University research has identified, in the Reserve, beech trees over 500 years old, among the oldest in Europe, which make it one of the 10 most ancient deciduous forests of the Boreal Hemisphere. The National Park covers an area of about 36,000 ha along the Tuscan-Romagna Apennines and includes territories in the provinces of Forlì-Cesena, Arezzo and Florence. The area of the Park has always been inhabited and productive, as evidenced by the numerous ruins and abandoned villages scattered on its territory. The "restoration" intervention of the ancient forest began in the second half of the 1800s and was further developed (after a period of great exploitation especially for the construction of a small railway for the transport of wood, the "via dei legni” i.e. “wood route", between 1906 and 1913, when the area was owned by a private company) with the purchase of the Forest in 1914 by the Kingdom of Italy. Today the Park offers thematic itineraries, animated by visitor centers scattered within it. The Park promotes the Slow Food Cacio Raviggiolo Presidium. Several other traditional food products are also produced within the borders of the Park.
the park is always open; visitor centres have different working hours (see https://www.parcoforestecasentinesi.it/it/multimedia/mappainterattiva/strutture-didattico-informative)
An exceptionally rich art collection by Croatian artists donated by Andro Vid and Katarina Mihičić, and a collection by European artists donated by Giuseppe Piperate, are stored at the gallery Fritzi in Mali Lošinj.
from February 26 to 25 March: Tuesday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., closed on Sundays, Mondays from March 26 to June 14:Tuesday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., closed on Sundays, Mondays (except on Easter Monday and International Worker´s Day) from June 15 to September 15: Tuesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., closed on Mondays from September16 to November 1: Tuesday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., closed on Sundays, Mondays and for holidays (except on All Saints Day) from November 2 to January 7: Tuesday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., closed on Sundays, Mondays and for holidays (except on Boxing Day)
OPG Chiavalon from Vodnjan is one of the most well-known Istrian OPGs that produces the highest quality extra virgin olive oil. Their story began 15 years ago when they produced about 200 liters of oil. Growing interest in the market for all quality olive oils this production has expanded. Each year this OPG produces 16 tons of olive oil, 50 tons of grain and the same number of fodder crops and vegetables. OPIA's Chiavalon annual revenues amount to about 4 million kuna. Six people are employed, and in the season up to 20. The oil of OPG Chiavalon today can be purchased on the delicacy store shelves and restaurants in Japan, Taiwan, the US, throughout the European Union and Serbia and Montenegro, and recently in Qatar. In addition to selling oil in designer packaging around the world, you can find out the story of their success directly in their family canteen and tasting salon. Here you can taste everything that has been produced with expert help from Sandy and Tedy Chiavalon who run the farm, but also on the spot to see how their oil ex Albis blends with various Istrian specialties. From 2000 until now, their extra virgin olive has received numerous domestic and foreign awards. Several awards were awarded with gold medals at competitions in Croatia and the world, while Ex Albis's extra virgin olive oil was included in Flos Olei Top 15 of the world's olive oil. In 2016, WORLD'S BEST OLIVE OILS organization has included them among the TOP 25 ecological producers in the world.
Under the guidance of our professional staff, visitors can enjoy a stroll through the olive grove and a smaller orchard and buy olive oil and honey. The olive grove is located on the road leading to the airport. Various olive and honey products are also made. Visitors can taste products as well as olive oil and honey.
Kula (The Tower), a museum-gallery space located in Veli Lošinj, testifies to the maritime tradition of the island. The permanent exhibition presents the rich history of Lošinj highlighting its famous maritime past. Apart from the permanent exhibition, additional space is provided for occasional art and museum exhibitions.
from April 16 to June 14: Tuesday to Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1. p.m., closed on Sundays, Mondays and for holidays (except on Easter Monday and International Worker´s Day) - from June 15 to June 30: Tuesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 1. p.m. and from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., closed on Mondays - from July 01 to August 31: Tuesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 1. p.m. and from 7.p.m. to 10 p.m., closed on Mondays - from September 01 to September 15 : Tuesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 1. p.m. and from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., closed on Mondays - from September 16 to September 30: Tuesday to Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1. p.m. and 5. p.m. to 7. p.m., closed on Sundays, Mondays and for holidays - from October 01 to October 15: Tuesday to Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1. p.m. , closed on Sundays, Mondays and for holidays - from October16 : opening "on-call"
The Museum of Apoxyomenos is a unique archaeological and architectural cultural institution in our region and it is entirely dedicated to only one exhibit – the bronze statue of a young athlete, the Apoxyomenos. The statue was discovered in 1997 by a Belgian tourist at the depth of 45 m. In 1999, it was taken out of the sea where it spent nearly two millennia.
The Museum of Apoxyomenos tells the original story of an athlete of perfect physical proportions, a piece of art that is impressive in its wholeness and beauty of composition. The bronze statue of Apoxyomenos dates to either 2nd or 1st c. B.C., and its name stems from Greek term for an athlete that is cleaning his body from oil, sweat, and sand after exercise or competition. The Lošinj athlete depicts the moment when he’s cleaning his scraper. The statue is entirely preserved, only missing a little finger of the left hand, eyes, and the scraper, while the right foot was still attached to the original bronze base. Following its removal from the sea bed, the conservation and restoration works on the statue were entrusted to the Croatian Restoration Institute in Zagreb and lasted 6 years, after which the statue was exhibited in some of the most important museums around the world (Louvre, British Museum, J.P Getty Museum).
The Museum of Apoxyomenos, exhibiting only one artifact, the unique archaeological find on the Adriatic and its story, was opened in May 2016 in the Kvarner Palace, in the very centre of Mali Lošinj. This beautiful antique sculpture has become Lošinj’s symbol and trademark, after nearly 20 years from the discovery and to his return to the Museum created especially for him. The Apoxyomenos’ timeless beauty, his unusual and mysterious story, and a distinctive museum setting haven’t left anyone unimpressed!
Getting here Opening hours and reservations TUESDAY - SUNDAY FROM 9AM TO 5PM, MONDAYS CLOSED. LAST ENTRY AT 4PM. Professional guides are held twice a day; at 12pm and at 4pm. You can make a reservation for professional guidance via the application form below or at the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org
The Concordiese National Museum in Portogruaro is one of the oldest in Italy as well as being the first to be established in Veneto following the unification of Italy. It was opened to the public on 28th October 1888. It displays a collection of materials from the Roman colony of Iulia Concordia, established in 42 BC near the crossroads of Via Annia and Via Postumia, fortuitously rediscovered by quarrymen during regular archaeological excavations or donated by local families. The first significant discovery occurred in 1873, when an entire necropolis from late antiquity was unearthed, then named “Il Sepolcreto dei Militi” (being the Soldiers’ burial ground), in consideration of the many inscriptions dedicated to soldiers.The Museum is structured in the shape of a Christian basilica with three naves. It safeguards statues, bronze figures, mosaics, architectural elements, funerary stelae, portraits, artefacts, coins, gems, ornaments in amber, lanterns, other everyday objects and glass items, including the famous cup engraved with Daniel in the Den of Lions, in addition to a wealth of epigraphic material hailing from the city of Concordia and its monuments. The museum offers a rich calendar of thematic guided tours, educational workshops (archaeology, history), along with events for children, families, and enthusiasts and professionals alike, in collaboration with schools and associations.
8.30- 19.30 (ticket office closes at 19.00)
The Ethnographic Museum of Belfiore (in the Municipality of Pramaggiore – VE) is located in an ancient water mill, annexed to the 19th-century Villa Dalla Pasqua. It embodies the strong link with the agricultural practices that characterise many villas constructed throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. The mill, in operation from the 15th to 20th centuries, is located within a flourishing park characterised by the presence of ancient and majestic trees, amongst which are oaks and ash trees, on the right bank of the Loncon river that fed the mill. A collection of mulberry trees testify to the presence of a silkworm farm in the Villa's attic. With the fall of the Republic of Venice, the milling activities became a long-lasting source of wealth, especially in the 19th century, when the marshes from Concordia to the sea were reclaimed and the monoculture of corn developed. The Museum has a monographic layout, revealing the history of the hydraulic works and the activities connected to the cultivation of grain and milling operations. The mill room contains the mechanisms and gears in use right up until the last century, along with vintage photographs and representative objects from the cereal sector. The Mill and the Villa Dalla Pasqua park host events and educational workshops promoted by the municipality of Pramaggiore. Not far away, the Castellina building hosts temporary exhibitions. The Belfiore Mill is also part of the cycle-tourist itinerary, “Le Vie del Pane”.
May-Sept. Sunday (and 1st Saturday of the month): 15.30 - 18.30; Oct-Apr. Sunday (and 1st Saturday of the month): 14:30-17:30
The Museum is a unique Seafaring Museum in Italy, because it joins a Covered Section and a Floating Section. The covered section, designed in the style of ancient arsenals, hosts a Bragozzo and a Trabaccolo fully equipped with their “vele al terzo” (lug-rigged sails). The visit itinerary starts from the “structure and construction” topic where materials and technologies are presented and an eighth-century workshop is reconstructed; then the “propulsion and steering” area follows, showing ancient and modern examples as well as didactic installations to test own’s ability with knots, manoeuvres and hoists. The final part displays objects representative of life onboard, fishery, sailing, magic-religious symbols (e.g. the bow “eyes”). The floating section, situated in the oldest and innermost part of the Leonardo's canal, collects and represents ten typical sailing boats (restored and reactivated, hoisting their coloured sails in summertime) of the high and middle Adriatic sea, used for fishing and marine traffic: the Bragozzo and the open-sea Bragozzo (small sailing-boats), the Battana and the Top (flat-bottomed boats), the Lancia (launch), the fishing Trabaccolo and the transportation Trabaccolo, the Paranza and the Barchét (medium-sized fishing boat). Two boats are still suitable for navigation and used to maintain the intangible heritage of the ancient sailing practices. During Christmastime, a traditional crib is set up on the boats
WINTER: Saturday, Sunday and Bank-Holidays: 10 - 12 and 15 - 19; SUMMER: the floating section as an open air museum, can be visited 24 hours a day all year long
The Museo della Bonifica collects elements referred to the history of the town and the surrounding area with its transformations, representing the historical events lived by the people in the past. The museum accompanies the visitor to discover signs of the past and of the environment transformation that are still alive and immediately perceivable: the great drainage systems, the huge network of canals, the big rural houses that were built to host the farmer's families. Visitors will also recognize the signs of country landscape and the naturalistic treasures of the river. The museum's structures, from the modest core which constitute it, reveal a wide net of possible tours, which are not limited inside its walls, but are integrate with the outside territory. The museum is divided into a naturalistic section, an ethnographic section and a reclamation section. The naturalistic section describes the characteristics of the pre-existing marshland ecosystem: the freshwater marsh and the brackish marsh and the bioecological characteristics of the two ecosystems; the Reclamation Section describes the phases of the remediation operation; the Ethnographic Section describes the fundamental aspects of the local culture and the man-environment relationship in the Lower Piave.
Summer: Monday and Thursday (9.00 -12.30); Wednesday and Friday (10.00-12.30; 16.00-19.00); Saturday (16.00-19.00); Winter: Tuesday ( 9.00–12.30); Wednesday and Friday (10.00-12.30); Thursday (10.00-12.30; 15.00-18.00); Saturday and Sunday (15:00-18:00)
Is attribuited to Patriarch Callisto (737-757), who had moved the seat of the Patriarchate of Aquileia from Cormons to Cividale, the renewal and expansion of the ancient ecclesiastical complex, which undoubtedly became an episcopal nucleus in the late Longobard age. This complex included the basilica of Santa Maria Assunta and the baptistery of San Giovanni Battista (whose remains are located under the current cathedral) and the patriarchal palace (today in the basement floors of the Archaeological Museum). The marble tegurio of the baptismal font (attributed to Callisto) and the altar commissioned by King Ratchis in honor of his father, Duke Pemmone, once placed in the baptistery, are exceptionally preserved and represent one of the greatest expressions of sculpture of the late Lombard age and are the result of a renewal of language that recovers different figurative traditions of the early Christian era. Today they are visible in the adjacent Christian Museum inaugurated in 2008, and they are World Heritage by UNESCO. The Christian Museum also preserves other works of art of a cultic nature, including goldsmiths of great value from the early Middle Ages
ORARIO ESTIVO (dal 1° aprile al 30 settembre) da mercoledì a domenica 10.00 -13.00 e 15.00 - 18.00 ORARIO INVERNALE (dal 1° ottobre al 31 marzo) da mercoledì a domenica 10.00 -13.00 e 15.00 - 17.00
National Archaeological Museum is located at the Palazzo dei Provveditori Veneti The palace was built in the second half of the XVI century (1565-1596): during the period of domination of the Serenissima around 150 Venetian Provveditori coma in succession. In the nineteenth century the building conteneid offices and since 1895 the Magistrate's Court. In the second half of the 20th century it was acquired by the State and completely restructured, so it became the National Archaeological Museum, including its extraordinary history and collection that began in 1817: the current rich museum heritage boasts archaeological artefacts from Roman, early Christian, early medieval period Romanesque and Gothic age, as well as important medieval codexes. the rooms that preserve the patrimony of the urban and suburban necropolises of Cividale deserve a special visit, because they are true treasures of Lombard artistic craftsmanship. In the walls of the National Archaeological Museum, in the basement, there are the remains of the patriarchal Palace of the Longobard age, witnessed by a mosaic floor with a white background and a geometric pattern with black tesserae
Il Museo è aperto tutti i giorni ad eccezione dei seguenti giorni di chiusura: 1° gennaio, 1° maggio, 25 dicembre. Il Museo è aperto il lunedì dalle ore 9:00 alle 14:00, e dal martedì alla domenica dalle ore 8:30 alle 19:30. La biglietteria chiude 30 minuti prima dell'orario di chiusura del Museo.
The museum encompasses works by 20th-century artists who mainly worked in Veneto and whose principal theme revisited the particular landscape of the region. The museum periodically organises temporary exhibitions, competitions, conferences and events focusing on the Veneto landscape, along with school and artistic workshops. The Museum is also home to the Observatory of the Reclamation Landscape of Eastern Veneto. The panorama of Bonifica is one of the great 20th-century Italian landscapes, resulting from an operation that commenced in the 1880s, taking off in the early-1900s to then substantially conclude in the mid-20th century. This operation radically changed the aspect of the environment and landscape across over 5 million hectares of the nation. Merely consider the 600,000 hectares of land that is completely “new”, mainly extending between the Veneto and Emilia Romagna regions, having emerged from the waters of the coastal swamps after being dried out by means of mechanic drainage. The territory around the Museum is an exemplary extent of the new landscape, being almost entirely artificial, seeing the most unique land, water and building infrastructure (channels, embankments, roadways, swing bridges, navigation basins and pumping stations) to have been created and steadily maintained since emerging in the 1900s. The museum has a historical section, a contemporary section and a photography section.
Temporary exhibitions opening hours: Saturday: 15:00 - 18:00; Sunday 10:00- 12:00; 15:00- 18:00
The Lošinj Aromatic Garden – a nursery of the island medicinal herbs in Mali Lošinj. Accompanied by a qualified guide, visitors can find out about the rich island flora, the medicinal properties of the island plants and buy an original island souvenir. More than 100 of these alohtone wild herbs complete this garden’s image. Garden plant habitats are framed by stone drywalls - grimaces - compounded in the tradition of island folk architecture. From the garden retreats and relaxation areas you can enjoy a beautiful view all the way to the mountain of Velebit. In the evening, from 18 to 23, visitors can taste local, homemade food.
The Mercato Ittico Comunale in Caorle, on the Caorline bank, sells seafood at zero food miles, fished onsite from the Adriatic Sea, in particular from the area between Punta Tagliamento and Chioggia, as well as from the waters of the Laguna di Caorle and from the fresh-water rivers of Nicesolo, Lemene and Livenza. When the fishermen return to shore in the early afternoon, the many varieties of fish, crustaceans and molluscs caught are placed in crates to be swiftly unloaded on the quay and then taken into the market for immediate auction. The auction follows the ritual of bidding “by ear”, typical of the local tradition, whereby the buyers whisper their bid for the desired seafood into the ear of the auctioneer. Once several offers have been received from the potential buyers, the auctioneer awards the auction and invites the person who made the most advantageous offer to repeat it aloud so that the process is transparent for all.The Mercato Ittico Comunale also has retail outlets open to consumers, Caorle locals and tourists. The stalls offer clients seafood caught from the sea (depending on the outcome of the catch, this may be sole, sea bream, squid, cuttlefish, mantis shrimps - or “canocie” in Venetian - musky octopus, mullet, whiting, Atlantic stargazer, common smooth-hound and oily fish) along with seafood caught in the lagoon of Caorle and Bibione and their traditional fishing valleys.
Retail market: Tuesday to Saturday: 8:30 -11:30. Wholesale market is reserved to operators.
The Covered Market was a gift to the venderigole from Sara Davis, daughter of a rich English merchant, who had noticed the hard life, outdoors under the sun and the Bora, which this women were exposed in the markets. With the money of his legacy the City built the current market, designed by the architect Camillo Iona (Vienna 1886 - Trieste 1974) that in this construction managed to combine many international ideas. The large building looks like a clever mix of functionality and form, components mixed to such an extent that the beauty of the building derives from its being fully functional, still active in the 21st century.
08:00 - 17:00
The Covered Market of Rimini, in the historic center, was created to join the old fish market with the food market booths, in a structure more modern and able to better match to customer needs. The Market, 4,500 square meters large, where 110 businesses offer they products, including producers and traders of fruit and vegetables, fishmongers, butchers, bakeries and gastronomy booths and bars, is a reference point for food shopping in Rimini but also a place for aggregation and exchange. The presence of a large number of businesses makes the prices of seasonal products very competitive, the variety of products wide and different services available, such as cleaning or filleting of fish, cleaning and ready-to – eat preparation of vegetables, information on the products seasonality and home delivery. At the Covered Market of Rimini there is the largest and best-stocked fish market in Emilia-Romagna, with over 60 sales counters. Almost all the fish arrives every morning directly from the Port of Rimini, caught at night and sold fresh the same day. The possibility to buy in the same place also seasonal fruit and vegetables to prepare your own fish dishes, makes the covered fish market one of the most popular. In the fish market, in addition to the traditional trader-booths, there are also 10 producers who sell only their own products at km 0 and 6 booths specialized in the sale of shellfish.
Monday to Saturday: 7.00 - 19.45
The old pickling factory is part of the network of Taste Museums Emilia Romagna and represents an important piece of the history of Comacchio, because it has restarted to the entire processing cycle of eels and "acquadelle" (Atherina Boyeri: a small variety of seafish with silver scales). The factory-museum offers the visitor a unique experience, along three exhibition rooms. The “hall of fires”, built at the beginning of the 1900s, contains twelve large fireplaces; here marinated eels were prepared, selected, cut, cooked and canned. The processing activity is currently limited to the period from October to December, when the eels are caught with the characteristic traps called "lavorieri" and processed according to the traditional method. The second area, the “calata”, hosts the “marotte”, special flat-bottomed boats, covered, with holes and slits to keep the fish alive during transport. The “calata” was a berth where the catch was offloaded and selected by size for the pickling. The itinerary ends in the “vinegars room”, where barrels and vats of various sizes are kept to store the marinade for pickling. Models, images, projections and interactive terminals provide all the information for visiting the museum. Furthermore, thematic conferences, guided tastings and in-depth presentations are organized.
Nov-Feb: Tuesday-Saturday: 9.30 -13.00; 14.30 -18.00; Sunday and Holidays: 10.00 - 17.00; Mar- Jun and Sept. to Oct. Tuesday-Sunday: 9.30 -13.00; 15.00 - 18.30; Jul-Aug: every day 9.30 - 13.00 and 15.00 - 18.30
The Social Dairy of Cividale and Valli del Natisone s.c.a. born in 1924 with the name of Latteria Turnaria di Cividale following the closure of the Latterie di Gagliano and Spessa (fractions of the Municipality of Cividale). The Cooperative is currently made up of a total of 160 members of whom 55 confer their milk in the dairy. At the production premises of the Latteria Sociale di Cividale, 175 quintals of processed milk are processed daily in both fresh cheeses and aged cheeses. The top products include the traditional Montasio DOP cheese (which makes up about 30% of the entire production) and the 'Latteria del' 24 ',' Matajur 'and' Saporito delle Valli 'cheeses, all made from raw milk. The cooperative employs a total of 30 people employed both in the dairy and in the owned shops that market around half of the entire production every day. Invia commenti Cronologia Salvate Community
The "Trattoria della Marianna" represents a real place of tradition and remembrance of the S. Giuliano village, the cornerstone of Rimini's identity and evocative of Fellini's suggestions. Its roots date back to the late 1800s, when the Trattoria opened its doors a few steps from the famous Tiberius Bridge, offering traditional dishes from the Rimini fish-catch. The restaurant still offers a seafood menu based on local products: blue fish, fine fish and autochthonous seafood offloaded daily from the fleet of local fishing boats, milk from the numerous cows, goats and sheep farms, which guarantee genuineness, freshness and unique taste to local cheeses, stone ground organic flour from Val Marecchia, cold extracted extra virgin olive oil from the hills of Rimini. In addition to the local wine, also the water served is local: it comes from the ancient Roman spring in Covignano (RN), rich in mineral salts that facilitate digestion. Fresh pasta is hand-made and rolled out according to tradition. The atmosphere of the trattoria is welcoming. The main colors are blue and white and everything has a connection with the sea; from the façade that resembles a merchant ship, to the bar counter that is derived by a boat. Outside, a large veranda is open all year.
The Medieval House is known as the "oldest house of Cividale" or "home of the goldsmith" or "Casa del Mille". In fact, this construction, dated mid-second half of the fourteenth century, was the house a goldsmith's workshop. It seems that it had been built on a severed tower. The current three-floors structure seems to be the original one, instead doors and windows have been modified and expanded, except for the window on the first floor where the medieval tradition places the administrative office of the shop. The house is not born from an autonomous project but reuses a previous stone structure, most likely a tower as they highlight the regular well-squared stone courses, present on the right external wall of the building. Inside there is a fragment of medieval sculpture belonging to a pillar or a cimasa and reused here. The Medieval House has hosted a goldsmith shop for a few years, thus recovering its original function; since 2015 it has been reopened by the Municipality of Cividale del Friuli and the Ambientarti Association.
Mon, Fri, Sun 10.30 - 13.00/ 14.00 – 18.00
Surrounded by rice fields, mist and evocative atmosphere, there is the restaurant La Capanna di Eraclio (Heraclius’ hut). In a reclaimed territory, six meters below sea level and a few kilometers from the northernmost Adriatic, time seems to stand still since the restaurant was a simple tavern for the sharecroppers who worked this borderland between the Adriatic Sea and the Po Delta’s wide valleys and marshes. Every day fresh fish from the Upper Adriatic and the lagoon arrives to the kitchen of the Capanna di Eraclio: squids, mackerels, sea basses, eels, moeche (crabs in the moulting period), small shrimps, squills, clams and molluscs, but also mallards, coots and other feathered game. Do not miss the pasta, hand-made using the rolling pin, and the traditional desserts. The authenticity and scents of a kitchen of the past characterize the restaurant's proposal, genuinely familiar since 1922. The Michelin Guide awards it 1 star.
The last "liberty" pastry shop in Trieste has been making traditional Austro-Hungarian cakes since 1836, when the shop was founded by the hungarian Eppinger family. Bonbons, fondants putizze, presnitz, pliers and eggs of homemade chocolate enliven the austere shop windows following the changing of the seasons. Passing through the glass doors with Art Nouveau drawings the visitor can reach an environment where time seems to have stopped. "La Bomboniera" has a little secret: all the sweets are cooked in the original wood-burning oven dating back to 1836, the only pastry shop in Trieste (and perhaps in Italy) to use this ancient method of cooking adding further charm to this historic place.
From Tuesday to Saturday 9-13 17-20 Sunday 9-13
In the very center of Pula, right next to the main green market, the architectural wonder of iron and glass from the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy era, Kantina restaurant and bar is based. An intimate place with a terrace and bar on Flanatic Street, which is the most attractive pedestrian zone in the city. Here you can choose where you want to eat. On the terrace overlooking the city crowds, where you can feel the real city pulse, or into the beautifully decorated interior of the restaurant on the lower floor under centuries-old stone vaults. There you will be welcomed by the peace, the warm atmosphere and the true impression of old restaurants and wine cellars. It is, in fact, a former basement of the villa of the Matijassevich and Koch family built in the 19th century and is a part of the historical and architectural heritage of old Pula from the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy when Pula was the main military port of the Monarchy. In the heart of the city Kantina offers typical Mediterranean cuisine and Istrian traditional cuisine. On the menu you can find typical local meals such as Istrian prosciutto and cheese. All the foods from Istrian farms are combined with fresh fish and seafood from the Adriatic, but also the meat of Istrian cattle Boškarin. In the kitchen are used exclusively domestic-grown tomatoes from indigenous Istrian seeds, the owners are proud of a rich palette of the world's finest olive oils - those from Istria, including extra virgin olive oils. Potatoes comes from Pazin, and herbs are grown in the surroundings. The signature dish of the Kantina is Pula soup. This is an Pula original recipe that is prepared from fresh sea bass and vegetables. Everything we have said is tempting enough for coming to this historic-urban restaurant with innovative Mediterranean cuisine.
The Casoni are humble and basic housing structures, typical of Basso Piave due to the particular marshy environment it has long been characterised by. Having existed within the territory at least until the mid-1900s, examples today are very rare and usually privately owned. The Casoni originally had a rectangular wooden structure and walls covered by reeds and typical marsh plants, occasionally even coated with clay or manure. They were decidedly functional even if poor. There are two types of Casoni: those of the marsh (built on piles near the water) and those in the plain (built on land completely emerged). The windows were made quite small so as to facilitate thermal insulation and to prevent cold from entering during winter or heat during the summer. Found in the Casoni were tools used for fishing and hunting and - to a lesser extent - agriculture equipment. Even Hemingway spoke about the Casoni and the Caorle lagoon in his book “Across the River and into the Trees”, in which he writes about the Adriatic coast between Friuli and Veneto he travelled along during one of his trips. Via dei Casoni is not far from the centre of Caorle, in the locality Falconera. The cycle route stretches from Piazzale Olimpia on Strada Palangon, reaching the “Isola dei pescatori” (“fishermen's Island”), extending through to Falconera. Excursions aboard tourist boats in this area of the lagoon may also include stops to visit the Casoni.
The Insolito Restaurant is born as a cosmopolite restaurant, open to experimentation of tastes, mindful of art and culture. A mix of tradition and innovation is the leitmotiv of the menus offered by this restaurant. Seasonality, freshness of ingredients, proper balance between meat and fish-based dishes are the principles of its gastronomy offer. The creativity of the chef is matched with the local food heritage, not excluding the great products of the national and international culture, including also vegan and gluten-free dishes. Its cuisine is made of contamination, knowledge and experience. Ragù, cappelletti and pasta are exclusively home-made to guarantee the craftsmanship of the taste. Among its dishes, according to seasonality and tradition, also Bel e Cot and cappelletti can be offered in its menu.
The town of Osor is in fact an outdoor museum in which artists from all stylistic epochs have left their marks (it includes works by contemporary artists such as Meštrović as well as remnants of ancient walls, forts, and the first Early-Christian basilica). It is a town-museum with gardens and parks in which traces of ancient villas, Renaissance portals and monasteries are hidden. During the summer, this town that represents history and a museum at the same time becomes a unique scene abounding in cultural events among which we put special emphasis on the Osor Musical Evenings.
from April 16 to June 14: Tuesday to Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., closed on Sundays, Mondays (except on Easter Monday and International Worker´s Day) - from June 15 to September 1: Tuesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., closed on Mondays - from September 1 to September 15: Tuesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., closed on Mondays - from September 16 to October 3: Tuesday to Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., closed on Sundays, Mondays and for holidays - from October 2 to Easter: opening “on-call” Opening “on-call” means previous arrangements (not later than 1 day before) made by phone or e-mail to determine the opening time. Opening after working hours Opening price after working hours is 100,00 kn Taking photographs in the museum buildings is permitted for personal use only (as a souvenir), without flash or a tripod. Publishing photos in print or electronic media without previous approval of the Lošinj Museum is punishable.
The Giardino Mediterraneo della Venezia Orientale is one of the four Mediterranean Gardens created under the INTERREG ITALIA-SLOVENIA 2007-2013 “SIGMA2” project. Located in Bibione (VE) close to the mouth of Porto Baseleghe, it is characterised by being a coastal garden in an area that has maintained significant natural features, aimed at protecting the biodiversity of the coastal habitats present (lines of marine sediments, wandering dunes, grey dunes, Malcolmietalia dune grasslands), with a particular focus on wild plants. The University of Trieste (Department of Life Sciences) has produced an interactive botanical guide for the Giardino Mediterraneo della Venezia Orientale, which helps to identify the botanical species indigenous to the area: http://dbiodbs.units.it/carso/chiavi_pub21?sc=578 Information on the Garden is available from the Municipality of San Michele al Tagliamento (VE), Piazza della Libertà no. 2 - San Michele al Tagliamento (VE).
The lighthouse is located in the eastern area of Bibione, at the apex of the delta mouth of the river Tagliamento. Constructed by Civil Engineers at the beginning of the 20th century, when the coastline was more advanced, it is comprised of a rectangular body with two floors, with a cylindrical tower reaching 21 metres and visible up to 15 miles from the coast. It was destroyed by a bombardment in June 1917 but was immediately rebuilt. The simple design and the white colour of the lighthouse walls stand out against the green of the natural pine forest reserve which has retreated over time due to the erosion caused by the sea. The lighthouse was electrified in 1952. Until that year, the lighthouse keepers had to maintain a fire whose light was amplified by powerful lenses. The construction became fully-automated in 1973. To directly counteract the erosion of the beach, which has advanced extensively throughout the last 30 years, and to preserve the lighthouse, breakwaters were built, the disposition of which should also encourage the accumulation of sand carried in by the Tagliamento. In addition to being a night-time point of reference for sailors, the lighthouse is a daytime destination for walks, bike trips and horse rides, for tourists and the local community. Indeed, the surrounding area has the unique advantage of combining various biotopes, thanks to its proximity to the river, including Mediterranean plants, alpine flora and orchids.
Summer: 7-19; October: Saturday and Sunday (9-13;14-17)
Since 1976, the Mostra Nazionale Vini (National Wines Exhibition) has organised a Wine Competition – Italy’s oldest - authorised by the Ministry of Agricultural, Food and Forestry Policies and managed by AEEI, along with the Concorso Interregionale del Formaggio Montasio (being the interregional montasio cheese competition). The citizens of Pramaggiore launched the exhibition immediately after the war, seeking to promote one of the territory’s most precious resources: wine. The exhibition includes wines from twenty Italian regions, those judged under the National DOCG, DOC and IGT Wine Competition. The various competitors are carefully rated by a hundred oenologists and wine technicians of the National Assoenologists who draw up the ranking and decide upon the winners of the various categories in the competition. The exhibition also includes other events, thematic evenings and tastings, as well as offering visits to local wineries and producers. The exhibition has a strategic partnership and a joint development plan with Lepido Rocco training institution, that in its premises in Pramaggiore hosts the “KeyQ+ Point” for Veneto. The KeyQ+ Point is a tourism animation pole at local level as part of the INTERREG V Italy-Croatia KeyQ+ project. To go to the exhibition or organise winery visits, contact the training centre Turistico Alberghiero Lepido Rocco in Pramaggiore, located in Via Callalta no. 2 - 30020 Blessaglia di Pramaggiore (VE) - Tel. +39 0421 799258; email: email@example.com
20 /04/ 2019–01/05/2019: Saturday, Sundays, public holidays: 10.00-12.00 / 16.00-24.00; weekdays: 18:00-24:00
With the aim of giving due prominence to the agricultural products of the Istrian peninsula and place them on the culinary map of the region, AZRRI - Agency for Rural Development of Istria established the Educational Gastronomic Centre of Istria, set in Gortan Hill near Pazin. AZRRI began offering a distinctive tourist experience which includes the presentation of Istrian traditional culture and food and participation in the making of a typical Istrian dish. Local producers are the key supplies of needed local ingredients for the cooking classes. The chefs involved in the initiative present the food with the use of all the senses. An overall experience of the local eno-gastronomic tradition at Gortan Hill provides interactive cooking with professional chefs, according to the principles of Istrian gastronomy: ease of preparation, freshness of raw materials, seasonal and local foods. Regardless of the topic of the cookery lesson, local produce is always preferred. In this manner, tourism and agricultural workers are closely linked, with the goal of creating a sustainable rural economy in Istria.
1898. Using a secret and ancient production method, Domenis started distilling different raw materials: pomace, also black pomace and fruit. The Domenis family then settled in Cividale del Friuli. The grandfather Pietro Domenis founded the distillery that began distributing its products in Friuli. 1951 – 1984 The Domenis distillation method improved due to large investments in the production plant. The company’s know-how was patented; the still plant, made entirely of copper, and the discontinuous method with low-pressure direct steam defined the quality recognition of a company with increasing expansion in the market. 1998. Domenis celebrated its first 100 years of distilling activities. 1999. Domenis launched its organic line. Domenis responded to consumers’ desire for products made with organic ingredients by selecting only certified pomace suppliers. Domenis also launched its kosher products, made according to the ancient rules of the Jewish religion. Domenis also began to use pomace from organically grown grapes to make their grappa. 2016 marks the beginning of a new course for the historic DOMENIS® brand and for the prestigious distillery in Cividale del Friuli, once again re-launching itself on the high-quality spirits market under the
Casa Artusi is a living museum in the name of Pellegrino Artusi, acknowledged father of modern cookery, who was born in Forlimpopoli, where the museum is sited, on 4th August 1820. Pellegrino Artusi wrote the most famous manual about Italian home-cooking, “Science in the kitchen and the art of eating well”, that was sold in 15 editions, just in his lifetime, reaching a total number of almost 800 recipes. Artusi must be recognised the tribute of having given dignity to that “mosaic” of regional traditions which for the very first were fully valorised at the level of the “national gastronomic tradition”. In its over 2800 square metres in the monumental complex of the “Church of servants”, the living museum is split into various areas dealing with different aspects of gastronomic culture: library, restaurant, cookery school, wine cellar, bookshop, museum and location for events. The cookery school of Casa Artusi, that offers a rich program of courses both for food lovers and professionals, has a teaching hall with 20 workstations equipped for practical courses and can accommodate up to 30-course participants for demonstrations. Casa Artusi is the beating heart of the Artusian Festival, which takes place every year during 9 nights at the end of June and transforms the Town Forlimpopoli in the capital of “eating well”, intertwining appetizing food and a rich programme of shows, concerts, entertainment, exhibitions and cultural events that stimulate the palate and delight the mind.
Monday and Wednsday: 15-18; Tuesday and Saturday: 9 - 12.30; Thursday and Friday: 9 - 12.30; 15 - 18
Cantina storica che unisce tradizione e innovazione, improntando la propria filosofia sulla valorizzazione del territorio, con le sue caratteristiche pedo-climatiche ideali per la coltivazione della vite nella vasta pianura ai piedi delle Prealpi, caratterizzata dalla presenza di grandi fiumi, acque di risorgiva di provenienza dolomitica e terreni diversi. Produce diverse linee di vini DOC, DOCG e IGT (Vintage, Classici, Tipici, Selezioni, Spumanti e Frizzanti (tra cui un Raboso Veneto IGT – da uve Raboso 100%). La cantina accoglie professionisti e appassionati di vino in piccoli o grandi gruppi per visite e degustazioni.
Another typical restaurant called “buffet” located in the ancient Borgo Teresiano near the covered market. At any time of the day you can taste a dish that is part of the traditions of Trieste. There is an open view kitchen at the end of a long dining room where flavors and aromas of tradition can be appreciated. There is added value in being able to see the chefs at work, through the open window on the kitchen, and this is greatly appreciated by the large local clientele and by the many tourists who go out of the beaten track.
Bora Bar trattoria & tartuferia is located in quiet and peaceful Rovenska bay, near Veli Lošinj. Right next to the sea enjoy italian dishes with emphasis on home-made pasta which is done daily in the restaurant. We use fresh Istraian truffles on many dishes. Delicious desserts are also done daily in the resturant. Small but fine selection of craft beer, famous gins, rums and malts (whiskey) or can enjoy simple aperol spritz with amazing view of the sea and Velebit mountain. Cozy and relaxing atmosphere , good for families with kids or dogs. Free WIFI.
This typical and traditional Trieste style restaurant wich is called “buffet” allows you to choose from a wide range of products ranging from the traditional boiled pork dish called “caldaia” to a remarkable daily offer in its menu based on sea food. It has managed by the same owner for almost 30 years and is located in the heart of Borgo Teresiano, one of the oldest and most historic districts of the center of Trieste. It is open all day as it is typical of this kind of restaurants. It is the ideal place for quick snacks but also for lunches and dinners. The kitchen prepares meals on a daily bases using fresh and local products. Never miss two out on tring the two main specialities of Trieste kitchen such as “mantecato cod” and “sardoni barcolani”, sardinias prepared in traditional ways.
AZRRI - Agency for Rural Development of Istria was founded with the aim of protecting the indigenous animal breeds of Istria via their economic valorisation, that is for the purpose of salvaging breeds close to extinction that may not have a great commercial interest but certainly are part of the identity and tradition of the Istrian peninsula, which makes them worthy of preservation. AZRRI, besides the fresh meat of autochthonous breeds, some of which is being processed by "maturation" processes, also produces high-quality permanent cured meats (salami and sausages). The production processes of cured meat products are completely natural with the use of high-quality meat. The flavours and fragrances of new products are uniquely and clearly defined for each product in AZRRI's wide range of offer, with each providing a clear linkage to the territory with additions such as Istrian Teran, Istrian Malvazija, Istrian Garlic, Istrian Truffles ... The economical or gastronomic valorisation of indigenous breeds of meat not only is a viable management model set along with the breeders of Istrian cattle, donkeys and sheep, but also a positive model of agricultural land management in Istria, especially in the peripheral wooded areas where indigenous breeds live. That is to say, the protection of the biodiversity of the Istrian peninsula and the provision of premium raw materials for the creation of territorial-related gastronomic brands are ensured.
L'azienda agricola La Fagiana è specializzata nella coltivazione e commercializzazione del riso superfino carnaroli. Oltre al riso carnaroli, produce Riso Vialone nano, Riso Venere, farine di riso e di Mais biancoperla, preparati per risotti, vini (tra cui Raboso), e tre tipologie di birre con riso Carnaroli. L'azienda ha iniziato a produrre riso con una piccolissima produzione nel dopoguerra ove la pilatura era effettuata a mano. Oggi, per quanto incrementata grazie alla parziale meccanizzazione della coltura e della pilatura, la produzione conserva le caratteristiche di un prodotto artigianale: il riso viene pilato senza raggiungere la massima sbiancatura, in modo da conservare le proprietà insite nella parte esterna del chicco, e viene offerto senza l'aggiunta di imbiancanti, lucidanti e conservanti. La farina di riso viene prodotta attraverso un mulino a pietra. Viene setacciata con tre diversi crivelli da 1100 mµ, da 700 mµ e da 200 mµ, in modo da ottenere tre tipologie di grana, che l’azienda ha denominate: grossa - fine, tipo semola; e finissima, tipo 00. La farina di mais biancoperla è ottenuta da pannocchie affusolate, con grandi chicchi di colore bianco perlaceo brillante, macinata anche essa secondo tradizione. Presenta una grana molto fine, che consente di ottenere una polenta cremosa, delicata, ricca di profumi.
The company produces Tergeste DOP oil but also other blends of Leccino and Maurino. It is located in Montedoro, in the Prebenico area, near the border with Slovenia. In cultivation modern work techniques are preferred even though the company dates back to 1823. There are many certifications and quality awards obtained over the last ten years. Currently it manages an olive grove of 9 hectares, plus two woods. No fertilizers of any kind are used in the crop, in order not to make the earth dry up. Only some plant protection products are used to target pests in a targeted way. You can pre-book guided tours of the olive grove with oil tasting. The recommended period to visit is from 1 March to 15 October. Groups from a minimum of 4 people to a maximum of 50 people.
Restaurant Artatore is situatedin the bay named Artatore, 7km in front of the city of Mali Lošinj. The bay is suitable for yachtsmen because it is protected from northern wind, it has a beautiful natural beach, surrounded by a pine forest and Mediterranean plants. This can all be seen from the restaurant’s terrace. The airport is close by so the guests who have escaped by plane for a few hours may rest their soul and body and also visit Artatore.
Since its opening in 1972, the dishes are prepared in Mediterranean style following family recipes and using original ingredients from the island of Lošinj. We have participated in all gastronomic projects from Tourist Board Mali Lošinj: Lošinjska kuhinja(Lošinj Cuisine), Lošinjskim jedrima oko svijeta (Sailing Lošinj sails around the world), Antička Apoksiomenova kuhinja (Ancient Apoksiomen cuisine) etc.
Iulia Concordia was a Roman city founded in the middle of the 1st century BC. Subsequently - likely in the middle ages - it became known simply as Concordia, until 1868 when a Royal Decree determined the name to be Concordia Sagittaria, referring to the historic factory producing arrows (sagittae) that was here in the early fourth century AD. The visit to the archaeological excavations of Concordia Sagittaria starts from the Cattedrale di Santo Stefano that overlooks the ancient consular road of Via Annia, which linked Adria to Aquileia. It reaches the suburban commercial warehouses (horrea) dating back to the initial centuries of the Empire and then the early-Christian complex consisting of the Basilica Apostolorum (entirely covered with mosaics) along with the Trichora Martyrum (a building with three apses dedicated to the Cult of Martyrs). The route then continues until coming to a stretch of city walls and the remains of a thermal building from Roman times (2nd-3rd century AD) that was preciously decorated with pictures (partly preserved) featuring Nereids and athletes. To the North there are two excavation areas: the Domus dei Signini (which preserves valuable remains of the mosaic floors) and the theatre. The last stop is the archaeological area of the Ponte Romano (Roman Bridge). Along the Decumano Massimo, we return to the area of the Basilica, which flanks the Forum.
8.30- 19.30 (ticket office closes at 19.00)
When it was built 130 years ago, the Austro-Hungarian army would never have thought that the largest aquarium in Croatia would be located in Fort Verudela in Pula today. Instead of soldiers, sea animals from different parts of the world found home there. Fish of the northern and southern Adriatic and those of the tropics. The impressive defense fort was built in 1886, protected by cultural heritage, and changed its function through history - from military to commercial to exhibition space of various sea and freshwater creatures. A special attraction apart from the aquatic creatures is the huge steel dome that returned to the top of the fort after 74 years, and the original were taken by the Italians in the Second World War and settled for the war purpose. This is a 19-tonne heavy dome, four meters high and has a diameter of 14 meters, below which is now arranged a new space for caiman and tropical sharks, which are a little over a one meter long. The Pula Aquarium has 35 pools where you can see 211 varieties of sea and freshwater animals from around the world, from the Mediterranean to tropical freshwater and marine habitats, cold freshwater habitats, sea horses and dragons and various kinds of jellyfish. Here, for example, beside sharks you can see red piranha, dotted river stingray, glass catfish, kissing gourami, fake Siamese algae eater, long-spine porcupinefish, mandarin fish, piccaso fish, pike, sterlet, silver carp, gambusia, rajiformes, and beautiful sea horses and sea dragons.
09.00h - 16.00h (or longer, depending on season)
The hotel's Amphitheater Restaurant has several specifics why it is worth visiting this address. First of all because it is led by one of the most creative and imaginative Croatian chefs, Denis Zembo, who gatherd knowledge all over the world in a many restaurants. Among others in his luxurious Le Mandrać in Volosko near Rijeka. Secondly, the restaurant is located practically near roman Amphitheater in Pula, which is why it also got its name. And third, with the name of such a famous chef, of course, are also unavoidable and excellent creative dishes based on excellent domestic products. Because Zemb's specialty many people worship him. That is the main reason why he has become favorite television culinary star. That is why the world famous gastronomic guide Gault & Millau has recommended this address for years, and in 2018 it gave 16 out of 20 points. For example in Croatia 17 points has only “Michelin” Monte restaurant in Rovinj. Denis Zembo is most proud at the restaurant's interpretation of local dishes, such as new scrambled eggs in a tasting menu, as well as the octopus in a vacuum that is usually prepared under the traditional recipe under a pie. So here traditional Istrian and Mediterranean dishes are prepared in a completely innovative way. Like dehydration, use of liquid nitrogen to cook in vacuum. In addition to special meals and a different atmosphere, friendly, as it is a small restaurant, specialties are also local lemonade, homemade ice cream, but homemade bread. If you arrive in the morning, you can also try their homemade jams for breakfast. It can be rightly said that the Amphitheater is a true home made restaurant.